Wednesday 26 November 2014

?Awesome Mix Vol.2?

Go, Star-Lord...

So, I'm going to go and say it. The Guardians Of The Galaxy Awesome Mix Volume 1 soundtrack, imo, is the best soundtrack of this year. True music that really gets us singing and that's good for the soul. However, at the end of GOTG, we see that Peter Quill's mother's gift to Peter just before she dies is a new cassette tape. 'Awesome Mix Vol.2'. Now, while it's fairly obvious that AMV2 will appear in GOTG2, many people are creating their own playlists showcasing what they think should be on the next cassette tape.

Given that this is happening, I started pondering what I would put on AMV2 were I the music director for the film. So, here's my list.



1. 'Old Time Rock And Roll' by Bob Seger
For some reason, I can just imagine Quill listen to this while the other Guardians put their fingers in their ears. However, this song covers the sentiment of Awesome Mix Vol.1, a lot of which had numerous rock elements to it. It also fits the criterion of the songs that would appear on these cassettes. (The fact that Peter's mum died in 1988 so basically anything she'd have listened to as a teen and just before Peter was born. So this would be a good addition because it adequately covers all of Awesome Mix Vol.1. To me anyway.


2. 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac
Again, it fits the criterion but it's also something slightly different to AMV1. Fleetwood didn't appear on AMV1 but this song would be good for an intro sequence perhaps, showing what the Guardians have done since the first film. Also, who doesn't like Fleetwood? Rumours is a personal favourite album of mine so it made sense for this song. which is their most commercial and one of their most famous, to be included on my list.


3. 'Baba O'Riley' by The Who

Now, let's get some British-ness in here shall we? This song would adequately sum up the Guardian's experience in space. "I don't need to fight to prove I'm right, I don't need to be forgiven" is in some ways the mantra of the Guardians themselves so this song works perfectly in that aspect. Also, being released in 1971, it's very possible this would've come out in Miss Quill's formative years. The Who were big around this time and it's one of the two songs from this album that have been praised. So it'd make a good song for those reasons.


4. 'A Horse With No Name' by America


A bit of a boring choice but I think it could work. Not one of my favourite songs ever but I think it could work on the soundtrack just to give it some variety. Used for a more sombre scene perhaps. Or perhaps we'll see Chris Pratt copy his new Ninja Cowboy Viking vibe for GOTG2?


5. 'Crazy Train' by Ozzy Osbourne

The only metal song on this playlist. I know it might seem odd to put Ozzy in this sequence but I think Crazy Train would be an interesting addition. Released in 1980, it fits the criterion but I also think that it could work for a ship scene. Possibly at the end? Either way, I just think it would make a weird yet workable addition to the soundtrack. I might be wrong but that's just my opinion! Feel free to disagree!


6. 'Seven Seas Of Rhye' by Queen
Ok, I'm a massive Queen fan and I couldn't help but put one of their songs on. I saw one playlist which suggested having Bohemian Rhapsody in AMV2 but I think that'd be too obvious a choice. I think something a little more obscure in their back catalogue yet one that people will know would be a better option. Like this song which was effectively their first break-through single. Until Killer Queen and BoRap of course! Anyway, it's just a fun song. Don't you think? I CHALLENGE THE MIGHTY TITAN AND HIS TROUBADOURS...reference to Thanos?


7. 'Fool To Cry' by The Rolling Stones
Ok, I have a slight admission to make. I'd originally put a Beatles song in the list when I was first compiling it and I felt that, for balance sake, I need to put the Stones in it. Anyway, The Beatles got replaced with Ozzy but I like this song. It's a similar vibe to 10cc's 'I'm Not In Love' on AMV1 so I thought, instead of changing it, keep it. Also, this could be apt for the possibility that Quill meets his dad in GOTG2?


8. '20th Century Boy' by T.Rex
Let's face it, Quill is a 20th Century Boy. So it'd kinda be his anthem. Plus, Bolan is brilliant! I can imagine Peter's mum totally being a Bolan fan. The man's a legend! Plus, it's fun to listen to. Weird lyrics but fun to listen to! So why not. Bolan! Also, it's pure glam rock at its best!


9. 'Wuthering Heights' by Kate Bush
Now, I know what you're thinking. "Kate Bush!? The hell Josh!" But hear me out. It's a fun song to listen to and it kinda fits in with the instrumental criteria of AMV1. Although it's not lyrically related to ANYTHING on GOTG, I can imagine this song focussing on Gamora or something. Also, Kate Bush is awesome! Why would you not put Kate Bush on a soundtrack as prestigious as this. (Ok, I am fan-boying a little bit...)


10. 'It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock And Roll' by AC/DC
You had this kind of rock on AMV1. So why not stick with the same theme? This song is awesome and, again, fits with the instrumental qualities of AMV1. Except now you have a big name on it. Not one of their most famous tracks but still a pretty awesome song. It's also a pretty bad-ass song anyway. I could imagine this as being somewhere near the end. Possibly the scenes going into the credits too or something.


11. 'Born To Run' by Bruce Springsteen
Another person I'm a fan of. I love Springsteen and I think that, this song in particular, should be on the mixtape. Admittedly, I did have an internal battle whether to choose this or Thunder Road as both would be apt but I eventually rationalised that this song would better suit the Guardians themselves. The open sky and a ship going anywhere in the galaxy. Also, this album in particular put Springsteen into the stratosphere. This song and Thunder Road are both kind of road trip-esque songs so it made sense to put this on!


12. 'Tiger Feet' by Mud
Finally, to top off this list of my own personal contributions to what could possibly be Marvel history, Les Gray and Mud with their hit 'Tiger Feet'. Again, glam rock, so it's very anthemic and just a bit of fun to listen to. I can imagine Rocket perhaps singing this one while Drax got confused with the metaphors. It also kind of follows the theme of The Runaways' 'Cherry Bomb' on AMV1 so we're still having little stylistic nods to the first soundtrack. I can imagine Groot rocking out to this at some stage. I reckon Groot would be good in a mosh or at a disco.

So yes, that concludes our broadcast day.

Feel free to criticise any choice I've made on here and suggest your own additions or replacements in the comments below!

Happy listening folks!

All that's left to say is...

I AM GROOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment