Saturday 22 November 2014

MY SONG OF THE YEAR: 2014

Here we go...

Last year, I made a post where I crowned my own personal song of the year. Not that it matters a dime but, as a musician and music fan, I'm always on the look out for new songs to fall in love. So, I've compiled my favourite new songs from this year to crown a number 1. Last year's champion was from British tech metal group 'TesseracT' with a song called Resist which I praised for its slow start but brilliant gradual build-up and eventual breakdown at the end.

However, this year's winner is a different song entirely. But let's have a look at the shortlist for this year.

1. 'Free' by Brent Walsh
2. 'Yellow Flicker Beat' by Lorde
3. 'Blank Space' by Taylor Swift
4. 'Edge Of A Revolution' by Nickelback
5. 'Something From Nothing' by Foo Fighters
6. 'Come On Over' by Royal Blood
7. 'All About That Bass' by Meghan Trainor
8. 'I'm Not The Only One' by Sam Smith
9. 'Let Me In Your Heart Again' by Queen

Now, I must admit, even though a few of these are pop songs, I've really enjoyed them for some reason this year. I can't explain why I've just enjoyed them.

However, the song I've picked as my song of the year this year has many reasons behind why I've picked it. Here are some of them:

- The moment I heard it, I fell in love with it. It just sat well with me.
- It's not what I'd normally listen to so I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it and realised I liked it.
- The production on the song is incredible. The instrumental is somewhat minimal but it's effective for the song.
- The song features one of my new all-time favourite lyrics. "I'm locking up everyone who ever laid a finger on me". Despite the fact this artist is known for this type of song, I just love that lyric. I just love the semantics around it.
- I can relate to it on a certain level.

Now, I have to admit, when I heard that new Queen songs were being released, I automatically thought that the lead single, 'Let Me In Your Heart Again', would be my song of the year because I'm such a Freddie fan-boy. But sadly, it's only second! I do feel like I'm cheating on Freddie slightly with my choice but hey, I'm human. So I'll share it anyway just because it's Freddie but it didn't hit me as hard as the song I have chosen.

So here it is. But before I do, people who know me well might be surprised by this decision. But please remember I do have a very eclectic music taste and I only happened to come across it by chance initially anyway. So here it is.

My song of the year 2014 is:

....


.....

.......



.........




...........





...........




......


'Yellow Flicker Beat' by Lorde

I just find the song nice to listen to. I've always been keen on Lorde and this one just does it for me. So I'm sorry Freddie, you'll always be my favourite. It's just Lorde beat you this time round.

Hope you all have a lovely Christmas and a Happy New Year!







Oh, and here's the Queen song just because IT'S FREAKING QUEEN :D



No comments:

Post a Comment