Wednesday 10 February 2016

The Final Song, With Little Chance Of An Encore

My song is ending soon. But the story never ends.

Music's been pretty good to me. I absolutely love it. I love listening to it, I love writing it and I especially love performing it. It's my ultimate detox and my ultimate catharsis and it's saved my life on a couple of occasions I'm sure. That's what makes this decision so goddamn hard. Writing music is the easy bit. It's what comes with it that's the difficult part.

I used to be in a band and, with the exception of a few particular moments, I can say it was one of the best times in my life. Against The Tide we were called. And we were good. I'm not just saying that because I'm biased but we were. And people liked us. We only performed in 3 towns in our county but, still, people enjoyed us and I loved being on that stage and making people get up and dance. I still remember thinking it was the best thing in the world watching people getting up and moving to a song I'd had a hand in writing. I still do.

But being in a band has a price. And, for me, it nearly cost me a few friendships.

While I was in ATT; things were great for a time but, obviously, as time went on things for more and more fraught. We started to have more and more arguments with each other (which started out as creative at first but then evolved slightly) and, as a result, tensions started to arise. Tensions overflowed a number of times as well which made the experience less fun for all involved. The best example I can think of is when one member complaining and storming out of a practise because he didn't like a certain riff in a song we were writing together at the time. However; this wasn't the only time that tensions took over.

Here's what I hated most about the whole thing though. Out of the 4 of us; I was spending the most time writing and demoing songs to present to the group. Now, with the exception of one song, I was particularly flexible about structure and music in each one but as long as the basic structure and foundations remained I wouldn't mind. I spent as many lunchtimes as I was allowed in the school studio trying to write new material for the band as we realised we were playing the same songs over and over. I would record the main guitars; I'd do a basic bassline and a (terrible) drum-beat. Now, these songs were never ever designed to be the final pieces but it was just an indication of the proposed structure, the tempo and feel of the song. However; two of my bandmates decided that my demos were rubbish and that perhaps I should leave the writing of their parts to them. While I explained I wasn't doing it to take over and it was only what I've previously described, they continued to tell me how nearly everything about the 7 or so demos I'd written in a month or two were terrible sounding and how I should just stop them because they were so bad. They mentioned the songs were ok but that the quality of the demos were terrible. This caused a pretty bad argument which ended with me telling them something along the lines of "well how about you two get of your arses and write songs as well then rather than letting me do everything".

That's what hurt the most for me. One of them would write a bassline and just work out the guitar around it, one would contribute drums when we ended up jamming stuff together and the other one would just contribute when he felt like it. I spent most of my time writing, perfecting and recording as many songs as possible just for ideas. And they knew this. So to be berated for doing the most work made no sense because they didn't seem to be doing anything to help me or even attempting to help. Credit where credit is due, the lead guitarist did help me in the school studio sometimes but I was the one spending the most time working things out and actually making an effort to take the band forward.

At least, that's how it felt. I didn't mind the fact that they didn't like the songs I was writing. But the reasons they were giving were, in my eyes, not justified and just plain stupid.

When we eventually decided to call it a day, I was obviously upset but it did feel like a weight had been lifted. For a number of reasons.


  1. The songs I'd been writing were barely even considered. And I was the only one actually offering anything by that point. Our bassist once referred to me as "the song machine" so to have nearly all of them discarded was actually getting hurtful and it made me resentful of the band altogether.
  2. We decided after recording our first EP that we wanted to change out direction slightly. However, the direction we were aiming for seemed to change every 5 minutes. So the songs I was writing to fit in the style were becoming outdated before they'd even heard the demos.
  3. Our influences were changing. We started off as a heavy rock/metal band and that was fine. But our decision to change ourselves slightly, and the indecision to what that direction was, meant that our own influence were becoming incompatible and were seemingly irreconcilable. I've always been more influenced by bands like Muse, Queen and bands like this. Our lead guitarist at this stage was more into tech metal bands like Sikth, Aliases and others while our bassist and drummer were both getting more into jazz and music based more in mathematics rather than anything else. So the songs I was writing trying to keep up were seemingly only in-keeping with my own influences. This lead to tensions as, the songs that I wrote that were accepted, were suddenly changed beyond recognition. 
  4. During the recording of the EP, tensions ran high during the recording of 'I Won't Die For You', our bassist (who had written the majority of the song) was getting quite agitated because certain things he envisioned weren't coming out in the song as well as certain things not being in the right places. While most of these were changeable on the spot, there were some things that he couldn't stand with even though the rest of us thought we'd all agreed it beforehand. (With the exception of my solo in the song which I did kind of do on my own). This was brought up again when 3/4 of my own composition, The Last Charade, was changed. While that argument was fine at the start, it did become very tiresome towards the end. Leading to more tensions.
  5. We were starting to argue more publicly. We had a big row on stage before a gig at one point in front of the audience who had stayed to see us. This alienated some of them and we ended up only playing to about 6 people in total.
  6. Also, I was going to university. So, with everything else and this as well, it felt like a natural point to bring it to an end.
After our split, I went off to Newport to go to university and I was convinced that I would do two things with my time there other than my studies. The first thing was I would record an EP myself and release it as a solo effort. But, in comparison to the ATT demos, I would spend more time making sure they were just right rather than them being just a rough thing to show off. The second thing was I would write more music suitable for ATT in the event that we decided to reform and give it another go which, at the time, seemed like a real possibility.

But, neither happened. I still wrote songs on my own but a solo EP actually being recorded was a pipe-dream at best. I left Newport shortly after arriving and my life went through a bit of a rough patch so music was, for once, the last thing on my mind.

While this struggle was going on though, I ended up writing what I consider to be my "masterpiece", 'Molly's Lullaby'. After writing and performing this for the first time, and it going down very well, I suddenly regained my passion for a solo project and tried to get it off the ground again. However, it was to be vain. Not only was the spectre of ATT over me, but other things got in the way and it meant that, once again, my dream of releasing a solo EP wasn't going to happen.

Once I went to Winchester, things started to become more excitable too. I felt my own music taste and influence starting to change and I was suddenly starting to write songs relevant to my uni experience. Once again, the opportunity to write, record and produce my EP on campus arose and I started writing in earnest. However, again, I was let down. And the chance to do this was taken from me once again for no reason other than sheer laziness (not on my part). 

I then struck fortune with my friend selling his old mac to me. I bought it with the sole purpose of recording with it. However, nothing is compatible with it and it barely works as it is. Acoustic music was all I could do. Which was fine to a point but I love the rock vibe and I couldn't do it with that/ So, once again, it didn't happen.

The final straw came last year when my friend said he would record a 5 track EP for me for free as a 21st birthday present. However, this was mentioned just before my birthday which gave me less than a month to write the music out for other people to learn and to practise them. Which couldn't happen. And now that time has passed and it's probably not even an option anymore. So, once again, nothing.

The rest of the time I've been here, I've tried continually to find a way write, record and produce an EP myself, for free, with me doing everything. However, it can't happen now. I'm too specific for my own good and I don't have enough money in order to pay someone to do it for me.

But this is the double edged sword. Someone pointed out to me last year that if I busked in the city I could perhaps save up the money to record a couple of songs in a studio. However. I don't like performing live on my own and I definitely do not have confidence in my own voice to do something like busking. Not alone anyway. But I don't have many musical friends here that have the time or the inclination to do it with me. So I keep writing and writing but to no avail. I can release my music with great difficulty and, in my eyes, only a quarter completed. And it's driving me mad.

But, for me, writing music is like my drug and my solace. I do it now because it makes me feel better but, in doing that, not being able to share my music in the way that I want to is causing me more mental turmoil and frustration that anything else. It's becoming a vicious cycle that I can't seem to break myself out of.

When I was a teenager, I was convinced that ATT would get signed. Or I'd find a new band in uni and we would get signed and it would all be great. I'd be a popular musician and I could campaign for all the causes I wanted and I could make a difference to people's lives. However, I realise now that this dream is incredibly naive and totally not achievable. Which saddens me but it's also comforting. Because I'm growing out of this now. After 7 years or so doing it I'm finally detoxing myself of it and I need to.

Which is why the decision to quit writing, recording and performing music is such a hard thing for me come to. Because I love it so much. But the opportunities are either there and I cannot take them or they're just not there. It depresses me but it's now starting to feel like something's trying to tell me that I need to let it go and move on now. Up until this year, if any of the old members of ATT came up to me and said "hey, let's reform and do some awesome music!", I'd have said yes. However, now, I'd tell them no. Because I can't keep going back into this cycle. It always ends the same way and I can't keep doing that to myself. It hurts too much.

So, in 2017, I'll have stopped doing this completely. I have a couple of commitments to stick to this year but, after that, that'll be it. I can't do this anymore and, while it saddens me that I won't be able to share this music that means so much to me with the world, perhaps it's better that way. The stuff I've already put out will still be there and I won't remove it but no new things will come out in 2017. I'll just be that twentysomething at the party who can play guitar and can play piano as a parlour trick. No new music will be written and nothing will be shared.

But, as far as my sanity is concerned, I've decided to share my Mind Retreat with the world in the form of the superhero universe I have in my head where myself and my friends are superheroes. I'm springboarding ideas in another blog (freakssuperherouniverse.blogspot.co.uk) and I'm hoping that, at some stage within the next 5 years, a full comic or graphic novel will be written and released. So I have something creative to work with but, as for music, I need to leave that motorway now and get off at the next junction. 

Of course, if a bona-fide solution comes along which remedies this, then this will change. But I have zero hope that will appear. So this is the final music I'll involve myself in music the way I have done for the past 7 years.

For those who have supported me in my endeavours in the past, I thank you more than I can say. It means a lot that you've been there through the rough and the smooth. But this is something I need to do.

One of the commitments I have this year involve me recording 1 original song and, I promise, I'll make it as good as I can. 

But, beyond that, someone else can write the songs I would've. 

I'm sure they'll do it better anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment