Monday 23 February 2015

My favourite 20* Songs EVER.

Don't THINK I've done this before...

Hey guys. So if you haven't already worked out, I LOVE music. And not just limited to any kind either. I know what I like and, more often than not, I like what I hear. But I do get asked sometimes to come up with a top 5 list or something and, I just can't. So I've tried to work out a top 20 list of my ALL-TIME favourite songs. Hope I can do it. I'm also going to explain very briefly why I love them so much and, obviously, link you to them.

So here goes:



20: 'Ghost Town' by The Specials
I love this song for a number of reasons. Firstly, it's 2-tone. I love that genre and many of the bands that came out of it and I'm slightly jealous of anyone who's in a band with them. I'd love to write and perform that kind of music but I really don't seem myself doing it anytime soon. Anyway, it's also a good political song from the early Thatcher years so it's an interesting British history resource!


19: 'The Headmaster Ritual' by The Smiths

So I love the Smiths and this just strikes a chord with me. I love a multitude of Smiths songs but this one sticks out for me because of Morrissey's recollections of his school years! I also love Johnny Marr's guitar work in this song especially for some reason.


18: 'Time Is Running Out' by Muse
Not the last time you'll see Muse on this playlist, I first got into Muse around 2007 and, initially, didn't like them. However, I heard Supermassive Black Hole and fell in love with them. They're still on my Live Act To-Do-List and cannot wait for Drones to come out. However, this particular song struck a chord with me because of its power. I'm normally paranoid about the end of the world but this song makes it a bit better each time I feel nervous...


17: 'Desolate' by FireKind
Unless you're in Australia or in certain parts of the UK or the Alps, you've probably never heard of FireKind but the story is this. In 2011; my old band, Against The Tide, won a competition to support the band (who were called Rude Tiger at that point) and I remember falling in love with their music almost in an instant. They are also some of the nicest guys you could possibly meet and I'm looking forward to hearing their debut album,,,whenever that comes out...


16: 'Heart Of Glass' by Blondie
Two reasons I love this track. 1, I have a slight crush on Debbie Harry, as did many others in the 70s/80s. My second reason is I absolutely murder this at karaoke. I love "singing" this on karaoke nights when I attend them and watching people writhe as I fail to hit the high notes. To be fair, unless I miraculously become Debbie Harry, I'm always going to fail at it. I'll just listen to it instead...


17: 'Thinking Out Loud' by Ed Sheeran
I know this hasn't been out long but I still love it. The idea of Ed writing this as a kind of wedding song is just pure loveliness and I think, personally, it lives up to that idea. If I could go to a ballroom dance with someone and dance to this before I die I'd be a happy Joshy.


16: 'Unchained Melody' by The Righteous Brothers
Yes, I do like the film Ghost. Yes, I do like the pottery scene. Get over it. I'm also a huge fan of 60s pop music and, apart from a few others which will make an appearance in this, this is one of the ultimate songs for me. I just love the melodies in it and the vocal range. Superb.


15: 'Vienna' by Ultravox
This should've been Number 1. Mum made me listen to Ultravox when I was little as they were one of her favourite bands when she was in her 20s. I do love Ultravox but this will always be my favourite. It's just so moody and well produced. I can't believe this lost out to a stupid fake Italian guy...


14: 'Bat Out Of Hell' by Meat Loaf
Someone else Mum made me listen to growing up. However, this is still one of my all time favourites. It's just like a rock opera in 9 minutes. The whole album too is wonderful and diverse. I had a hell of a time trying to decide which ML song was my favourite but I think this one and one more covers it nicely.


13: 'I'm Into Something Good' by Herman's Hermits
I was a tiny bit obsessed with this song in 2006-2007 after Mum got a 60s compilation CD with this song on it. I annoyed my school friends by singing it continually. Just because it wasn't Beyonce I guess it wasn't worth listening to. But then again, I loved it and that's that matters. I still enjoy hearing it from time to time!


12: 'The Show Must Go On' by Queen
If you ever feel like complaining or feel like you can't do something for whatever reason, listen to this song. Recorded in 1991, Freddie's health was rapidly deteriorating and Brian was worried Freddie couldn't sing it as, let's face it, it's a powerful track. Freddie then downed a shot of vodka and reportedly said "sing it? I'll fucking nail it, darling". He then proceeded to do the whole song in 1 take. (Trust me, that's pretty damn incredible). So never say you can't do something!


11: 'Hungry Heart' by Bruce Springsteen
I love the Boss. I just love how happy the music to this song is despite the slightly sombre lyrics behind it. I was lucky enough to see Springsteen in 2013 and it is, hands down, the best concert I've ever been to to date. It'll take a lot to top that!


10: 'Cancer' by My Chemical Romance


Although I love a lot of MCR, this song is my ultimate favourite for them. I remember crying the first time I heard it and I cried again when they played it when I saw them live. It's just a really sad yet strangely uplifting song. I can't explain it.


9: 'If There's Any Reason' by FireKind
Remember FireKind from earlier? Well, they did another song that I completely fell in love with. I haven't heard this live yet but I hope to one day. It's just a lovely song and the music just works with it, The slightly airy and ethereal sound that surrounds it. It's a reverb lover's heaven but it's still lovely.


8: 'Tears Dry On Their Own' by Amy Winehouse
I remember this coming out and enjoying it when it came out. It's a lot more sassy than Amy's usual stuff but I think that's why I enjoy it so much. Because it is slightly different! Mind you...I wouldn't cheat on your partner though...you might end up in this position! I miss Amy...


(Joint 7th): 'Dear Future Historians...', 'Slipshod' and 'The Last Garrison' by Enter Shikari


























Had the very lucky opportunity to see this band live this time last week and all 3 of these songs were played. All are from the new album but I just love both of these songs. Dear Future Historians makes me cry fairly often because I just find it really lovely. But The Last Garrison is just uplifting. Slipshod's just fun. GET ME THE MANAGER.






6: 'Thunder Road' by Bruce Springsteen
This is one of my ultimate uplifting songs. Just the idea of running away on a road trip or something is a lovely sentiment. The piano in it as well is just stunningly beautiful. I'll have to stop there or I'll go on about it all evening and no-one wants that.


5: 'Heartbreaker' by Led Zeppelin
That riff tho. I just love the whole blues-eyness of this track and Plant's vocals in it. It's just so...sexy! Sexy stuff from Zep.


4: 'What A Wonderful World' by Louis Armstrong
Just the hope in this song. It talks about everything wonderful in this world which still rings true now as it did then. Only now we're not in a Cold War context. Either way this is still a beautiful song and one of those really weird timeless ones.


3: 'Save Me' by Muse
One of those songs that made me cry when I first heard it again. Matt doesn't sing this one. Chris does. He wrote it as well and it was written about his wife who stuck by him despite his battle with alcohol addiction. Which is what makes it so poignant. On a personal note, it reminds me of an old friend of mine who I don't speak to anymore. We had a mutual love of Muse and this song just reminds me of her a little bit as I always kind of aspired to be a bit like her. (Hence why my favourite lyrics from this song is 'turn me into someone like you').


2: 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen
I think most people who know me would expect this to be first but, still. It's 2nd. There's nothing I love more when I'm down to just listen to this song and sing and dance along to it. I can play half of the song on piano and some of the ending on guitar. I'm hoping one day to perform it live but that'll probably never happen. Just the amazingness of this song is the only reason this needs to be my number 2, even if it is the most popular Number 1 single in UK chart history!


1: 'Love Of My Life' by Queen
Anyone who knows me is now saying "of course it was going to be Queen". Well, hope I didn't disappoint. But this is my all-time favourite song because of how different the live version is to the recorded version. In the recorded version, it's mostly piano based with the other members coming in towards the end. However, the live version is solely Brian and Freddie with Brian normally on a 12-string acoustic guitar. I was very lucky to see Queen + Adam Lambert in 2012 where Brian played this song on his own with Freddie walking on in video form at the end. I was crying. But I remember first hearing the live version and thinking it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard in my life. I still think that to be fair just because of the raw passion and power Freddie puts into it. If I ever watch a live performance I haven't seen before and they play it I cry every time. I've also attempted to play this live before and it didn't work but I'll happily just listen to it. Also, I just love Freddie Mercury a bit too much :')

So there we have it. My 20(2) favourite songs ever. Hope you enjoy this list and find some enjoyment in it. I'd be interested to hear what your favourite songs are!

Until next time, see ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment