Thursday 21 January 2016

The Power Of Writing Music

We all have a story to tell.

At age 13; while messing around on my friend's guitar, I wrote a song called 'Love Is (The Hardest Word To Say)'. A shitty little song about the general perception of being in love.

Also, at age 13, I co-wrote a song called 'Black Thunder'. Originally about an assassin that later evolved to become one about the apocalypse.

At age 14; I wrote a song called 'Too Young' about how the teenage stereotype at that point was a lie.

Also, at age 14, I wrote a song called 'Say Goodbye'. For no reason in particular.

I then went on to write more songs over the years. Including:


  1. 'Within Me' about a break-up I underwent. (2011)
  2. 'No Stranger To Controversy' about the Chilcott Enquiry into Hacking in the Media. (2012)
  3. 'Signals' about a girl who I was in love with at the time. (2011)
  4. 'The Art Of Self-Destruction', designed to be an intro song for my band, Against The Tide. (2011)
  5. 'A Losing Battle' about drug addiction and how it can affect a person's mental state. (2015)
  6. 'The Mind Is A Powerful Place' about my own battle with paranoia and hypochondria. (2015)
  7. 'Eccentric Circles' about how we've affected the world and how people like my cousin's baby daughter will judge us in the future. (2015)
  8. 'To The Ends Of The Earth', a sequel to Signals. (2016)
  9. 'Empty' about a man with Dementia. (2014)
  10. 'Each Night Of My Life' about my two friends who are about to get married. (2015)
  11. 'Girl In The Library' about a girl I met a number of times at uni who always seemed sad. (2014)
  12. 'Field Of Starlight' about my friend, Sammy. (2009)
  13. 'Killer Affair' about a man who finds his girlfriend with his oldest friend and kills them both. (2014)
  14. 'The Last Charade' about the leader of a fictional country during the Arab Spring. (2012)
  15. 'In My Mind' about another break-up I underwent. (2012)
  16. 'Oh, Hometown' about my hometown. (2015)
  17. 'Burned By The Ashes' about the apocalypse. (Co-wrote). (2010)
  18. 'Accident' about various relationships I was aware of at the time. (2013)
  19. 'New' about a crush I once had. (2015)
  20. 'Cinta Sejati' about true love. (2015)
  21. 'I Don't Care About My Heart' about relationships that often seem one-sided but not always. (2015)
  22. 'Keep Calm...' about the prospect of a nuclear attack on the UK (Co-wrote with my cousin). (2015)
  23. 'I Don't Know Yet' about a relationship the guy doesn't want to be in anymore. (Co-wrote with my cousin). (2015)
  24. 'The Veteran' about the final veteran of the Second World War, (2015)
  25. 'Enemy Eyes' about a man who goes hunting for a target. (Co-wrote). (2014)
  26. 'Cariad' about my friend, Elin. (2011)
  27. 'I Knew Jesus Before He Was Cool' about the policies of the current Government and protesting against them. (2014)
  28. 'I Come With A Warning Sign' about a relationship I nearly entered and wrote to try and explain to the young lady how much of a mess I am. (2015)
  29. 'Molly's Lullaby' about a future daughter I dreamed about who wouldn't go to sleep unless I played her this song. (2013)
These are just a small selection of songs I've written in the past. And why have I written them?

Because I can?

Because I want to?

No.

It's because they were all stories I felt needed to be shared.

Being creative is the best thing there is because there's never an end and there's never a dull moment. Though it can also sometimes bring frustration when the ideas don't come when they're either meant to or supposed to.

But here's something to remember. Creativity cannot and should not be rushed. And if you're a creative person and that idea you're looking for isn't coming then stop worrying about it. And stop panicking. Because, I promise you, that will hinder the creative process.

If you try and force something it won't be good. I've discovered this recently. I tried to create an entire album called 'Dancing With The Enemy' which was going to be about a journey through addiction, pain and paranoia. But nothing came but for 2 songs. And that's not an album is it.

I've laid my music to a moratorium recently. Though I have a couple of projects this year that I'm super-excited about that includes a new original song and a cover version for a CD project. But, beyond that, music will be something I will return to. But I have other priorities right now. But just because something doesn't come to you now it doesn't mean that you should stop or give up. Yes, it sucks, but what you write next might just be the best thing you've ever written.

I felt the same about 3 years ago and then I wrote Molly's Lullaby. I didn't like it when I wrote it because I wasn't myself at the time and I wrote it for a gig I really didn't want to play. But people loved it. And, trust me, it's saved gigs from going really bad by playing it. I now love the song because of the reaction it invokes in people. (Grown men cried when I first played it!)

I love writing music and sharing my stories. I also write superhero stories with the intention of one day writing and publishing a graphic novel. But being creative has saved my skin more times than I care to mention and music is one of the best things there is. Because everyone has one song that invokes a certain memory. And to write songs and have people tell me that it invokes certain things in them is one of the best things you can hear as a musician.

So please don't give up. And don't get angry about it. Just remember that the next thing you write could be the best thing you'll ever do. It'll come to you eventually.

Right, Aimo?











No comments:

Post a Comment